A winning combination of biomechanical properties for sports medicine devices
Improved bone on-growth
PEEK anchors demonstrate improved bone on-growth in open construct anchors at months post-op CT when compared with biocomposite anchors8
Lower rates of osteolysis in rotator cuff repair
Studies show that anchors made with PEEK demonstrate significantly lower osteolysis than resorbable anchors9 in patients undergoing arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
Fully threaded and knotless PEEK soft tissue fixation
PEEK-OPTIMATM polymers offer bone ongrowth and strength as demanded by high-load implant applications, combined with artifact-free imaging10
Suture anchors made using PEEK-OPTIMATM polymers provide a strong, stable and highly versatile platform for optimal tissue-to-bone healing1,7.
The mechanical properties of PEEK-OPTIMA deliver several clinical benefits over metals, bioabsorbable and other biomaterials:
Tibial and femoral interference screw systems made from PEEK-OPTIMATM polymers provide many structural properties needed when designing the next generation fixation system:
Pre-contoured anatomic plates for hand, foot & ankle applications, cannulated implants for proximal interphalangeal fusions, and wedges for osteotomies are examples where PEEK-OPTIMA polymers can drive superior performance, including:
Get help with material selection from the #1 PEEK experts
1. Nho SJ, Provencher MT, Seroyer ST, Romeo AA. Arthroscopy. 2009 Jul.
2. Supportive information available on request.
3. Rhee PC, Shin AY. The rate of successful four-corner arthrodesis with a locking, dorsal circular polyether-ether-ketone (PEEK-Optima) plate. J Hand Surg Eur. Vol. 2013 Sep;38(7):767-73.
4. Harmer JL, et al. A Midterm Review of Lesser Toe Arthrodesis With an Intramedullary Implant. Foot Ankle Spec. 2017 Oct;10(5):458-464.
5. Walsh WR, et al. Does PEEK/HA Enhance Bone Formation Compared With PEEK in a Sheep Cervical Fusion Model? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Nov; 474(11): 2364–2372.
6. Study evaluated the in vivo response to PEEK-OPTIMA™ Natural, PEEK-OPTIMA™ HA Enhanced and Supportive information available on request.
7. F. A. Barber, M.A. Herbert, C. Beavis, F. Orro; J. of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery; Vol. 24, No 8; 2008
8. Micic I, et al. Osteolysis is observed around both bioabsorbable and nonabsorbable anchors on serial magnetic resonance images of patients undergoing arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2019 Nov;53(6):414-419
9. Kim K, Kim Y, et al. A Comparison of Open-Construct PEEK Suture Anchor and Non-Vented Biocomposite Suture Anchor in Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial. Arthroscopy.2020 Feb;36(2):389-396.
10.Image: CFR-PEEK composite fusion plate X-ray image, courtesy of Carbofix.
11.Hercules™ Suture Anchor System is a registered trademark of In2Bones Inc.
12.FOOTPRINT◊ is a registered trademark of Smith & Nephew.
From the invention of PEEK over 40 years ago, Victrex has continually pioneered new PAEK-based polymers, materials and solutions that have transformed markets, delivering global impact in the toughest environments.
We bring transformational & sustainable solutions that address world material challenges every day.