Benefits of PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rods
Invibio PEEK-OPTIMA™ Spinal Rod components offer a semi-rigid posterior fixation solution that bridges the gap between stiff all-metal constructs and dynamic treatment options.
PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rods provide more anterior loading compared to metal which may allow for additional stimulus for bone to form and fusion to occur.1-3
Strong and Flexible
PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rods may reduce the range of motion to stabilize the treated segment allowing for enough freedom to maintain physiological movement on adjacent upper and lower segments preserving or slowing down the degeneration of adjacent discs.2,4-6
PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rods allow for artifact-free imaging in X-rays, CT and MRI scans, making it a good option when unobstructed views are required to assess healing or disease progression.
1. Highsmith JM, Tumialan LM, Rodts GE Jr. Flexible rods and the case for dynamic stabilization. Neurosurg Focus. 2007 Jan 15;22(1):E11.
2. Gornet MF, et al. Biomechanical Assessment of a PEEK rod system for semi-rigid fixation of lumbar fusion constructs. J Biomech Eng. 2011 Aug;133 (8):081009.
3. Moumene M, et al. Biomechanical Advantages of Expedium PEEK Rods. 2008.
4. Ponnappen RK, et al. Biomechanical evaluation and comparison of polyetheretherketone rod system to traditional titanium rod fixation. Spine J.2009 Mar;9(3):263-7.
5. Turner JL, et al. The mechanical effect of commercially pure titanium and polyetheretherketone rods on spinal implants at the operative and adjacent levels. Spine. 2010 Oct 1;35(21):E1076-82.
6. Athanasakopoulos M, et al. Posterior spinal fusion using pedicle screws. Orthopedics. 2013 Jul;36(7):e951-7.
Learn about PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rod components providing semi-rigid fixation to bridge the gap between rigid and dynamic spinal constructs
Read how PEEK-OPTIMA Spinal Rods can be considered a safe and effective alternative solution to rigid systems.
DISCOVER OTHER PEEK-OPTIMA™ COMPONENTS
Non-metal fracture fixation technology with PEEK-OPTIMATM Ultra-Reinforced Polymer, a carbon fiber composite, compared to metal, provides tailored stiffness to deliver optimal strength and greater fatigue resistance, which may increase the potential for healing.2
1. This product is not available for distribution or implantation, worldwide.
2. Data on file at Invibio. Mechanical Benchmark of Carbon Fiber PEEK-OPTIMA Ultra-Reinforced vs Ti 6AI-4V Plates Undergoing Static and Dynamic Testing per ASTM F382-99 (2008).