The extremity device market was estimated in 2015 at $3.82 Billion and is forecasted to grow significantly.1 Orthopedic extremity devices, foot arthrodesis and arthroplasty volumes are expected to grow with deformity corrections performed in the foot driven by favorable demographic factors (obesity, diabetes) and becoming increasingly common due to rising aesthetic consciousness.2
Pre-contoured anatomic and contourable plates for hand, foot and ankle, cannulated, compression screws and hammertoe and wedges for osteotomies offers some examples where our biomaterials can drive superior performance. Benefits include:
PEEK-OPTIMATM is paving the way in extremity orthopedic technology with leading devices such as the CANNULINK™ Intraosseous fixation system by the Wright Medical Group N. V,8 TOEGRIP® implant for Inter-Phalangeal Fusion by SYNCHRO MEDICAL SARL,9 and HAT-TRICTM Proximal Inter-Phalangeal (PIP) Fusion by Smith&Nephew.10
1. Foot and Ankle Devices Market worth 5.41 Billion USD by 2020. Press release, Markets and Markets. Link: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/PressReleases/foot-ankle-devices.asp
2. Supportive information available on request.
3. J. E. Isaacs, S. N. Yen, J. R Owen, F. P. Owings, J. S. Wayne (2008). Biomechanical comparison of the holding strength of a peek-optima circular plate versus a stainless steel oblique T-plate for radioscapholunate arthrodesis. J Hand Surg Am. 2008 Dec;33(10):1765-9
4. P. C. Rheen, A. Shin (2013). The rate of successful four-corner arthrodesis with a locking, dorsal circular polyether-ether-ketone (PEEK-Optima) plate. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2013 Sep;38(7):767-73.
5. J. L. Harmer, A. Wilkinson, A. J. Maher (2017). A Midterm Review of Lesser Toe Arthrodesis With an Intramedullary Implant. Foot Ankle Spec. 2017 Apr 1:1938640017704943
6. Ovine bone defect study of PEEK-OPTIMATM HA Enhanced polymer, supportive information available on request.
7. Ovine cervical fusion study of PEEK-OPTIMATM Natural and HA Enhanced polymers, supportive information available on request.
8. “CANNULINK” trademark is the property of Wright Medical Group N.V. or its affiliates.
9. “TEOGRIP” registered trademark is the property of SYNCHRO MEDICAL SARL
10. “HAT-TRICK” trademark is the property of Smith&Nephew